Expert corporate governance advice, whether standalone or as part of a larger transaction
Traditionally, corporate governance has been the preserve of listed companies. For many years now, all listed public companies in the UK have been asked to ‘comply or explain’ – either follow the UK Corporate Governance Code or explain why they do not.
More recently, large private companies have been brought under the corporate governance banner. From 2019, all companies that meet the relevant thresholds, whether public or private, have to report on whether they follow a formal code of corporate governance and, if not, explain why not. This latest set of rules reflects the significant impact that large companies have on customers, employees, pensioners, suppliers and communities, irrespective of their legal status.
Meeting the governance needs of public and private companies
Our corporate lawyers in London help listed and privately-owned companies, multinational organisations, boards of directors and company secretaries ensure that:
- The organisation is compliant and reporting on its corporate governance correctly; and
- Deals, investments and other business activities follow regulation and best practice, with all the right legal processes and procedures in place, and thus pass the scrutiny of regulators of stakeholders.
What corporate governance services can we provide?
We have a wealth of experience in advising on corporate governance structures, both for domestic and international businesses. We offer sophisticated advice on the full spectrum of issues, including:
- Corporate governance policies and practices
- Regulatory reporting and disclosure
- Board and committee composition
- Board diversity and leadership structures
- Director’s duties and conflicts of interest
- Committee charters, codes of ethics and other best practice materials
- Shareholder agreements, communications and voting rights
- Risk assessments and internal controls
- Business ethics and anti-corruption
- Internal investigations
With increasing pressure on boards of directors to remain up to date and compliant to avoid serious fines or criminal prosecution, the need for control over your corporate governance is more important than ever. As a full-service, highly ranked law firm, we will ensure your organisation is aligned with the ever-changing corporate governance landscape with a view to protecting long-term stakeholder value.